Thursday, January 27, 2005

Opinions (continued)

As promised...my thoughts on Earthlink.

So...I finally bit the bullet and spent over 1000 dollars on a new computer. I spent a lot of time researching what I needed and wanted so, needless to say, I'm very protective with out of control anti-virus software, firewall, etc. Right, so, the purchase came with 6 months free AOL or Earthlink. Well, both sets of software come on the computer so, since I already had AOL and hated it, I figured I'd test-drive Earthlink and, if I liked it, cancel my AOL and switch providers.

Things were going great until stupid Earthlink kept tantalizing me with their Earthlink Accelerator. I finally gave in and installed it. Mistake!!! It completely screwed up my Internet Explorer. I was no longer able to get to any web pages. None at all! I went through every trouble shooting guide I could find, chatted with Earthlink's tech people, AND called them. In the end, the Earthlink Tech person I last talked to told me there was nothing he could do...that I'd have to bring my computer to a repair shop and have the network communications software re-installed. Um...how did it get messed up in the first place??? Stupid Earthlink Accelerator.

Well, I forgot all about everything and just started using AOL instead only to discover that, now that my 6 free months are up, Earthlink has started charging my credit card 21.95!!! I forgot I'd even given them my credit card number. I tried to call their billing people but the wait time was over 20 minutes so I gave up. I'll try again at some random time of day in the hopes it'll be less busy but, who knows. So, of course, if I can't get it to work I'll cancel the service and just stick with AOL but I finally got off my ass and contacted Dell about the problem and they provided some trouble-shooting tips that I hadn't tried yet. Hopefully that will work (because when all is said and done, I really do not like AOL and would rather use a provider like earthlink, netzero, juno, etc)

I hate technology.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home